10 Facts You Never Knew about St. John Paul II
1. Saint John Paul II could speak Latin fluently. A rare art these days. Oh and besides his native Polish, he could also converse in: Slovak, Russian, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Ukrainian, and English.
2. Saint John Paul II received his call to the priesthood when he once accidentally “caught” his father praying alone during the night on his knees.
3. Saint John Paul II was an expert on Saint John of Cross and the Carmelite mystical tradition. The title of one of his doctoral dissertations (yes, the man had not one, but two doctorates) was “The Doctrine of Faith in Saint John of the Cross.”
4. Saint John Paul II was the first Pope to visit the White House in the United States.
5. Saint John Paul II visited 129 nation during his pontificate – the most of any Pope ever (including Saint Peter)!